Welcome to my ELT blog









I am an ESOL teacher and teacher trainer in the UK: all the tools I'm looking at here are easy to handle and have lots of learning potential inside and outside the classroom. I hope you find this too.



Friday 20 January 2012

my.Brainshark

This is a great tool for bringing the outside world into the classroom and giving students a real focus for speaking and listening. I've used it to prepare a presentation I could use as a listening activity.  Pairs would then prepare their own presentations about a familiar area or country.  It's a very task-based learning activity and the recording encourages students to pay greater attention to their accuracy.          



Once your students have registered for this - and it couldn't be more straightforward - they download their powerpoints, pictures or videos and click the record button.  They will need headsets.  They are offered an infinite number of opportunities to re-record and preview, which is ideal.  As long as it's done collaboratively, I would expect a lot of planning and talking before they come up with the final presentation.

However...
The main problem I've had is trying to sequence the pictures.  They seem to pop up in the presentation quite randomly.   If anyone has got this one sorted...? It would be particularly hard if students were using them to tell a story.

http://www.brainshark.com/mybrainshark

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christine, just watched your Brainshark presentation, I really liked it, especially your joke about the cars. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete